hushAsia

De Lima, Gatdula charged with graft over Taiwanese deportation

By Michael Punongbayan (The Philippine Star) Updated May 04, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (29) View comments

MANILA, Philippines - A lawyer has filed before the Office of the Ombudsman a request for investigation to determine if Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Magtanggol Gatdula, and former Bureau of Immigration (BI) officer-in-charge Ronaldo Ledesma committed abuse of authority in the deportation of Taiwanese nationals to China three months ago.

In a four-page request for an investigation filed last week, lawyer Reynaldo Bagatsing said the government officials may have violated provisions of Republic Act 6713, also known as the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees.

Bagatsing said the anti-graft court should investigate why Taiwanese nationals were deported to China if records showed that they were not Chinese nationals.

De Lima had said the deportation to China was done in accordance with the one-China policy. In line with this, Manila only recognizes Beijing as the legitimate Chinese government. China recognizes Taiwan as a province.

She said the deportation order was issued based on a request from Beijing that issued arrest warrants against the 14 Taiwanese involved in $20-million online fraud cases.

The deportation angered Taiwan and spawned threats of a freeze hiring of Filipino workers.

In lieu of an apology as demanded by Taiwan, former senator Manuel Roxas III was sent as an informal emissary to gain the understanding of the Taiwanese government.

Bagatsing, however, maintained that the arrest and deportation of the Taiwanese nationals was illegal.

“It is the contention... that there was no legal basis to cause the arrests of Taiwanese nationals for an alleged violation of RA 8484, following service of a highly questionable and illegally procured search warrant as admitted by no less than the Secretary of Justice, Leila de Lima,†he said in the request for investigation.

He also said the issuance of the deportation order was illegal because there was a pending petition for a writ of habeas corpus at the Court of Appeals.

Bagatsing said the BI should not have sent the Taiwanese nationals to China also because the Philippines does not have an extradition treaty with China.

“Even if there is a valid extradition treaty between the Philippines and PROC, Taiwanese nationals are nationals of a separate country, ergo they should have been deported to Taiwan,†he said.

The Immigration bureau also supposedly did not have the departure of the Taiwanese nationals recorded in its database. There are reports that each of the Taiwanese nationals had a $200,000 reward for their arrest. A ranking Chinese official was supposedly among the victims of an online credit card scam allegedly perpetrated by the suspects.

The Department of Justice, however, did not acknowledge such.

View previous articles from this author | Subscribe to this author via RSS

Full Story Here : http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=682312&publicationSubCategoryId=63

This is another article on the same story !

6 Taiwanese suspects deported from Philippines to China cleared

2011/05/03 22:21:48

post-77-0-84834900-1304570174.jpg

Manila, May 3 (CNA) At least six out of 14 Taiwanese fraud suspects who were wrongfully deported to China by the Philippine government in February have been cleared of wrongdoing, a Philippine official said Tuesday.

Philippine legal authorities could not find any evidence that the six Taiwanese men had committed any crime, said the immigration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"They will be returned to Taiwan from China shortly, " he told CNA.

They were probably arrested by mistake by Philippine investigators, he speculated.

He expressed concern that the latest finding will create new cracks in relations between Taiwan and the Philippines, which were strained after the Philippine government deported the 14 Taiwanese suspects and 10 Chinese suspects into Chinese custody on Feb. 2.

On Feb. 7, Taiwan recalled its envoy to Manila, Donald Lee, and tightened its screening of Filipino laborers after the Philippine government ignored Taiwan's protests over the incident.

On March 3, he said, the Philippine Department of Justice rejected charges of cross-border fraud against the 24 people, citing "lack of evidence."

He said that upon their release from Chinese custody, the six Taiwanese suspects will be able to sue the relevant Philippine officials for "malicious prosecution" and demand compensation. (By Emerson Lim and Deborah Kuo) ENDITEM/J

Full Story Here : http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.aspx?Type=aALL&ID=201105030047

I think they would have a good case to sue those responsible for wrongful deportation, especially to the wrong country, and that they were, or appear to be innocent !

It just make Philippines look bad and make less people want to come here and spend money or less countries want us to go work there.

Love Cherry x x x

Yes, Unfortunately corruption, bungling, and just plain old neglect of duty run rife there. It is just the way it is, unless, of course, you have a few extra pesos for the "express lane " ! ROTFL! ROTFL! ROTFL!

This is the major problem ...

"De Lima had said the deportation to China was done in accordance with the one-China policy. In line with this, Manila only recognizes Beijing as the legitimate Chinese government. China recognizes Taiwan as a province. "

That the Philippines refuses to recognizes Taiwan as a legitmate government, can only cause more problems in the future. I am guessing China's demands on the Philippines has cause this gov't policy.

If I was Taiwan I would not allow any of my people to step foot in the Philippines as long as this policy is active.

jmho

This is the major problem ...

"De Lima had said the deportation to China was done in accordance with the one-China policy. In line with this, Manila only recognizes Beijing as the legitimate Chinese government. China recognizes Taiwan as a province. "

That the Philippines refuses to recognizes Taiwan as a legitmate government, can only cause more problems in the future. I am guessing China's demands on the Philippines has cause this gov't policy.

If I was Taiwan I would not allow any of my people to step foot in the Philippines as long as this policy is active.

jmho

Yes, I think you are right, the whole thing is full of stuff ups right from word go, one on top of the other !